What is the use of potassium sorbate
Potassium sorbateAuxiliary materialsPreservative Potassium sorbate is the potassium salt of sorbic acid. It is available as a white powder or as granules and is very easily soluble in water. Potassium sorbate is particularly effective against fungi and is added to medicines and foods as a preservative.
synonymous: Kalii sorbasPhEur, E 202, Kalium sorbicum (outdated)Products
Potassium sorbate is contained in many drugs as an excipient, mainly in liquid and semi-solid dosage forms.Structure and properties
Potassium Sorbate (C.6H7KO2, Mr = 150.2 g / mol) is the potassium salt of sorbic acid, a short-chain, unsaturated fatty acid. It is available as a white, odorless powder or granulate and is very easily soluble in water. Sorbic acid is a natural substance, but it is mainly produced synthetically.
Potassium sorbate has antimicrobial properties and is particularly effective against fungi and, to a lesser extent, against bacteria. The effects are attributed, among other things, to the inactivation of a number of enzymes. This is due to the formation of covalent bonds with thiols (-SH). The activity is higher in the acidic range, which is why potassium sorbate is also combined with acids.application areas
As a preservative for medicines and for food.see also
Sorbic acid, excipientsliterature
- Medicinal product information (CH)
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Specialist literature
- Pharmaceutical Technology Textbooks
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 8/24/2020.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- How many horses are there in Australia
- Where's Numantia
- What can I do about scratched discs?
- What are some Rembrandt lighting examples
- Beto ORourke is Spanish
- What are the advantages of mechanical engineering
- Supports the Nokia X6 VoLTE
- Everything can be recycled
- Why did ISRO's most recent mission fail
- Which fruit name ends with cumber
- What personality complexes do you have
- What is a full form of DTP
- How did the Kardashians become celebrities
- Who started vegetarianism
- What is frequency and wavelength
- Is John McCain the last good Republican
- Telephone companies can create their own text flow
- What if Stan Lee owned Marvel
- How can you describe a cultural landscape?
- How does tinder affect the male ego?
- Has anyone surprised you with its simplicity
- What is time window
- Why are some aunts and uncles mean
- How can I accommodate my dogs
- What is Microsoft Cloud Computing
- What are core competencies of executives
- Which are some natural beauty products
- Who is the first billionaire in the world
- Helps melatonin sleep
- Which country has the most channels
- What's the best about MIT
- Is 71 good in B Tech ECE
- How many internet users use Adblock
- How can I make money in a short time