How does Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012 R2: 10 things to configure after installing Server 2012 R2
01 Switch off the server manager autostart
By default, the Server Manager starts automatically every time a user logs on. This configuration is saved in the user profile. Before you switch off the autostart, you should first add the computer to the domain, as this will change the user profile again. You can find the setting via Manage \ Server Manager Properties.
02 Switch off welcome view
The welcome screen of the server manager also disturbs the overview. You can switch this on in the Server Manager via the View menu by deactivating the function Show welcome tile from.
03 Update the server
If you install a server with Windows Server 2012 R2, the Windows update function is not activated by default. If you work with WSUS and group policies, the updates will be installed, but in general it makes a lot of sense to bring the server up to date after the installation. To do this, call over wuapp Windows Update, activate the update function and have the updates installed.
Repeat this process until no more updates are found. One of the updates is around 900 MB in size. This is Update 1 for Windows Server 2012 R2, which is also available for Windows 8.1. Above all, this optimizes the context menus, the view and the stability of the server.
- Switch off Server Manager Autostart
By default, the server manager starts automatically each time a user logs on. This configuration is saved in the user profile. Before you switch off the autostart, you should first add the computer to the domain, as this will change the user profile again.
- You can find the setting via Manage \ Server Manager Properties.
Update server via Windows update / Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1
- After installing Windows Server 2012 R2, you should install all updates, especially Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1.
Update server via Windows update / Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1 optimizes navigation on the start page with a better context menu.
Start performance counters
- Windows Server 2012 R2 can monitor the other servers in the network via the server manager and display their online status. To do this, after the installation you have to start the performance indicators for monitoring manually via the context menu of the server in the middle of the Server Manager via All Servers . Only then do other servers recognize that the current server is working.
Check local settings in Server Manager
- If you click Local Server in the Server Manager, you can make numerous settings for the server in the middle area. Here you can, for example, activate enhanced security for Internet Explorer, configure names and domains, activate network teams and much more.
Check errors in Server Manager and Event Viewer
- After the installation you will find the notification center in the server manager at the top right. Errors can be seen here, as well as tips on how to correct the errors. Look at the errors and resolve them. Call up the event viewer via the start page and filter for errors here. Fix the errors here too.
Add servers with the same server roles in the server manager
- Via Manage \ Add Server , you can add other servers from the domain to the current server. Here you should at least add the servers with the same server roles, for example Hyper-V hosts. Because in this way you always have an overview of the errors and problems on other servers with the same services in the Server Manager. This also affects the local server.
Then click on the server role and check whether everything is ok with the servers or if there are any tasks to be done.
- Overview of servers in the network
In the Server Manager you have an overview of a server role for all servers in the network.
- Check certificates and certification authorities
If you use certificates in the network and work with the Active Directory certificate services, you should check whether the certificate of the certification authority was entered in the internal memory. This is the only way to ensure that the certificates and thus many services work on the server. The Active Directory certificate services are entered in the certificate store of the local server by a group policy.
To do this, call up the management console certlm.msc and then navigate to My Certificates \ Certificates . Automatically issued certificates should appear here. You can find the certificate of the certification authority via Trusted Root Certification Authorities \ Certificates.
Test name resolution Before using a server productively, you should first check whether it has added itself to the Active Directory DNS zone and whether the name resolution to the domain controllers and the other servers in the network is working. The quickest way to test this is with nslookup and ping. Check the connection to all major servers. If you also work with reverse DNS zones, also test the name resolution of IP addresses by computer name, not just the resolution of computer names by IP address.
04Performance indicators start Windows Server 2012 R2 can monitor the other servers in the network via the server manager and display their online status. To do this, after the installation you have to use the context menu of the server in the middle of the Server ManagerAll servers
manually start the performance counters for monitoring. Only then do other servers recognize that the current server is working.
In the Server Manager you have the command via the context menu of the server Start performance counters executed, the server can be monitored via the network. The Best Practices Analyzers are now working and can pull data from other servers. You can also use the context menu of the server to log on to the server with a different user name in order to administer it.
- 05 Check local settings
- In Server Manager, click
- Local server
- , you can make numerous settings for the server in the middle area. Here you can, for example, activate enhanced security for Internet Explorer, configure names and domains, activate network teams and much more.
- Which things are getting harder to find
- What if Gohan reached Super Saiyan early
- How to use Google Docs
- What is www and search engine
- How can I learn faster at work
- What are whiskers made of
- Are designers responsible for sustainability
- Marvin Gaye wrote his own songs
- What is your favorite local charity
- Can you teach a newborn chess
- What are the sub-areas of aerospace engineering
- What is E in Gauss law
- What is PETP plastic
- What happens when a star core collapses
- Why do you hate Stephen Hawking
- How has saree evolved over time
- What are HDFC Securities Fees
- What are some economically sustainable business models
- Why did Sikhs fight in World War I?
- In their opinion, evolution is progressive
- Conservatives even know what socialism is
- How do I teach my wife
- Which film series has the best soundtrack?
- Why were battlebots stopped
- How does the C ++ vector index its elements
- Who is the richest player in the world
- Is there a 0th dimension
- How do we acquire Cole's fracture
- How to make a Chinese windlass