How poison octopuses
The poisonous legacy of the cephalopods
Melbourne - Blue-ringed octopuses are known to produce a potent neurotoxin that they inject through a bite. According to a researcher from the University of Melbourne, they are not alone: Most cephalopods have poison, says Bryan Fry in the "Journal of Molecular Evolution". At least this applies to octopuses, cuttlefish and some species of squid - these are also summarized under the term "squid", while the primitive pearl boats separated from this line of development earlier.
Basis of the assumption: The genetic analysis of various cephalopod species shows that all octopus species descend from a poisonous ancestor. He passed his poison on to his descendants, even though they developed into very different species over the course of millions of years.
This finding is relevant for the pharmaceutical industry and could contribute to the development of new drugs, stresses research director Bryan Fry. "The poisons of the cephalopods are toxic proteins that have special functions such as paralysis of the nervous system. By understanding the structure and action of the poison proteins, we hope to be able to develop new drugs, for example for pain perception, allergies or cancer."
Tissue samples from cephalopods from Hong Kong, the Coral Sea, the Great Barrier Reef and Antarctica provided information about the toxicity. A comparison of their genes, which are responsible for poison production, showed the existence of a common poisonous ancestor. From this comes a set of poison proteins, to which other proteins have joined in the course of evolution. Further research is now to determine why such different types of poisonous animals have relied on the same composition of poison proteins for such a long time, and what physical or chemical properties made them susceptible to the use of poison.
Paralysis of mussels
Cephalopods use poison when hunting, for example to paralyze mussels, the shell of which can then be cracked more easily. However, only the blue-ringed octopus is actually dangerous for humans. When bitten, this mollusc releases the fast-acting neurotoxin tetrodotoxin, which leads to paralysis and respiratory failure within two hours. (pte / red)
- What are the different streams in commerce
- What is Login Yahoo Com
- Lord Krishna is a male prostitute
- Why can't I understand the percentage of math
- Why does exercise promote the metabolism?
- Can the frontal lobe syndrome be reversed
- You should keep your iPhone password protected
- Can you decipher the word TIWETTR?
- What is the Hamilton operator
- What is price cut
- Why do Europeans go to India
- Who is a HR specialist
- Is Pyronic a good superhero name
- What does the Ashoka Chakra actually represent
- Are Americans greedy
- What is the square root of 4786
- What is the Kurtzke scale EDSS
- Why do you like Google Flutter
- Who is the highest peak in India
- Vladimir Putin fears the US military
- Can I learn to dance when I am 20?
- Where do we go as humans
- How did the Theia theory come about
- How can I change a Pureit kit?
- Is it worth buying an upgrade to NBA 2K19
- Did you meditate today
- Why do people love amateur astronomy
- Let's give insects heart attacks
- What are the properties of allosteric enzymes
- Which is the song in TVF Kruegen
- What exactly are murder tendencies
- Why don't young people like jazz?
- Are cover letters double spaced
- What does the Bible say about anointing