Receive AirPods software updates
Update for AirPods (Pro) - what new features are Apple's headphones getting?
By Adrian Mühlroth | April 30, 2021, 6:33 p.m.
The AirPods and AirPods Pro have received a firmware update. But as usual there is no information about what the update will bring. TECHBOOK shows how to find out if your AirPods are the latest version.
Please vote in our voting:
Unclear what the update will bring for the AirPods
The update updates the AirPods to firmware version 3E751. There is a lively discussion in the Reddit forums about what changes the new version will bring with it. Many complain that the AirPods' handoff feature isn't working properly. With Handoff, the headphones automatically switch the audio source when switching from iPhone to iPad, for example. The feature only got an update with iOS 14, which uses iCloud data to find out exactly which device is currently playing sound. But even with the new firmware version, the forum members do not notice any improvement. Often the change doesn't work and in some cases the AirPods connect to a device that is not currently in use.
Also, there's no fix for those who have the AirPods Pro misaligning their stick gestures when switching between devices. For example, if Siri is set as quick access by squeezing the stems, the AirPods Pro reset this setting to transparency mode when switching to another device.
Apple has not yet responded to TECHBOOK inquiries about what changes the firmware update for the AirPods will bring with it.
Find out if your AirPods got the update
Updates for the AirPods firmware are well hidden in iOS. To find out which firmware is installed, follow the path Settings>Generally>info>AirPods>Firmware version. The number stored there shows which firmware the AirPods run with.
A manual update of the AirPods is not possible. Usually, new firmware just installs itself automatically as soon as it is available. That's why there are no instructions for this on the Apple support site. However, there are several posts from specialists in Apple's discussion forum that show a trick that can be used to force a firmware update.
- Listen to music or other audio with the AirPods for at least 30 seconds.
- Put the AirPods back into the charging case and close the cover.
- Use the Lightning cable to connect the charging case to the power. Wait 30 minutes. Then reconnect the AirPods to the iOS device or iPad they are paired with.
TECHBOOK has asked Apple if there are official instructions for updating the AirPods. So far we have not received an answer.
AirPods require an iPhone or iPad for updates
Apple is going its own way with the AirPods. Many manufacturers offer apps for their Bluetooth headphones that can be used to install updates to improve stability and sound, or even add new functions.
The AirPods, on the other hand, are deeply integrated into iOS. Without an iPhone or iPad, functions such as 3D audio cannot be used, and firmware updates are not available. Apple only announces new functions and updates for the AirPods as part of new iOS versions. That's why the AirPods don't have their own update function. New firmware is only installed in the background without you noticing anything.
Nevertheless, function updates and firmware updates for the AirPods are separate from each other. The AirPods get new functions with an iOS update. With iOS 14, for example, the AirPods (Pro) got 3D audio, improved automatic switching between devices and optimized charging. In contrast, firmware updates are only used to correct errors and improve the stability of the connection.
- Flipkart accepts the card upon delivery
- Will the world end in 3000
- Is the mechanical engineering at HBTU good?
- What is the Parmenides theory
- Why do we have wrong thoughts beliefs
- What do people love about their language
- Would you drink mint tea while you are sick
- What is 13 reasons why in Portuguese
- Why was Britpop popular
- SpaceX is facing interesting software problems
- Why are all worldviews against Christianity
- Will you die after sex
- Can transfer students live on campus
- What's the best way to learn bouldering
- Which cosmetics brand is going downhill
- What is your experience with growing cucumbers in pots
- When are people successful
- Can a fresh meal be frozen
- What exactly are the Rajput warriors
- What is the importance of vocational training
- What's the latest BECIL recruitment
- What does bell mean?
- How can I make my own tortillion
- How are motivational speakers paid