Buying helmets online is a good idea
Which motorcycle helmet should I buy?
Which motorcycle helmet to buy - that is one of the first questions that motorcycle beginners ask themselves. It is about questions of the right “style”, of course, but most of all, of course, it is about safety. So how do you choose the perfect helmet from the extensive range? Even experienced motorcyclists are almost inevitably faced with the question of which model to replace their previous helmet with. We have compiled the most important information here.
Motorcycle helmet: cool, safe or both?
The safety factor should always outweigh the aesthetic design of the helmet. First of all, it is crucial that the helmet complies with the EU standard ECE-R 22.05. Most dealers in Germany almost only sell helmets that meet this standard. However, there are exceptions - in particular the popular half-shell helmets (“braincaps”) in retro style do not meet this standard. Otherwise there is a multitude of different model forms; which one gives preference depends above all on the subjective perception of convenience and usability.
The right fit - motorcycle helmet tips
Before you try it on, it is best to define your helmet size by measuring your head circumference at forehead height. The specified helmet size corresponds to the number of centimeters of the head circumference, although the sizes of different manufacturers can be quite different. When trying on a helmet, there are a few things that you should systematically check before making a decision. These include:
- Fit - does the helmet slip or push?
- possibly suitability for glasses wearers
The first step on the way to the perfect motorcycle helmet is to make sure it doesn't pinch anywhere but also doesn't slip. Otherwise it is not only uncomfortable when driving, it also reduces the safety that the helmet offers you. Pay particular attention to your temples, ears and forehead - this is where pressure is most likely to arise. Keep the helmet on for a few minutes or, if possible, take it for a test ride. In this way you can also immediately check how easy the helmet is to use.
When trying on, consider what you might be wearing under the helmet. Anyone who drives with a balaclava should also wear it when trying on the helmet. Anyone who wears glasses should also put them on when trying them on. If the helmet does not offer enough space in the area of the ears, the helmet presses on the temples of the glasses after a short time and thus on the sensitive region behind the ears.
Another important point is the upholstery. Even if the helmet does not press, the surface of the pad can chafe uncomfortably on the skin. Also important: can the upholstery be removed? This is an advantage because you can then wash the upholstery and replace it entirely if necessary. In addition, some models offer padding in different thicknesses so that you can fine-tune the fit of the helmet if necessary.
Ventilation is important so that you can breathe easily in the helmet and the heat does not build up. A good helmet has ventilation devices at practically all "ends": on the top and back of the helmet (ventilation slots), but also on the chin, forehead and visor (air channels).
Buy motorcycle helmet online?
Since fit really matters, ordering a helmet online is not a good idea. In any case, you should try the helmet on yourself before buying it and, if it is your first helmet purchase, seek professional advice. Local specialty shops are unbeatable here - and definitely worth the one or two euro that you might save online.
Our tips for buying a motorcycle helmet at a glance
- It is best to buy the helmet in a shop instead of online.
- Try on the helmet as it will be worn later (with or without a balaclava, glasses, etc.).
- Ideally, take a short test ride in the helmet before buying.
- Choose security over design. (Pay attention to the EU standard ECE-R 22.05.)
Are you looking for cheap insurance for your motorcycle? Calculate your tariff now with our offer calculator.
- How do I turn off Pinterest notifications
- How do I clean cooking grids
- Did Marvel Robert Downey Jr.
- Would you consider cartels of oil companies
- Who will win Mega Rayquaza or Arceus?
- Why do people pierce their cartilage
- How was the tax collected before 1961
- Is English necessary for English journalism
- How can I fight against being angry?
- Who is Andrew Jackson
- What are these app components called desc
- How many places are there in shorthand?
- How do you say timeless in Latin
- What are some good websites for PPT
- How fast Koreans move in relationships
- How have technological advances made exploration possible?
- Why does a b b a
- What foods increase body fat
- How do I deal with my enemy
- Brainstorming sessions are productive
- What is Mintzberg's leadership role
- Who is Marcus Mumford
- Has Kangana Ranaut earned a national award
- Is evolution predictable
- Why do Hare Krishna devotees worship idols
- What are good books for enterprise architecture
- What is a terrier dog
- What's your favorite proof of God
- Is Calvin Harris's feelings about Taylor Swift
- What are the fees for the CBSE Improvement Form
- Every function has a rule
- Video games control your thinking behavior
- How are artificial elements made
- Who is the deadliest sniper of all time?