As for the top 100 films on IMDb
Top 20: These are the best films of all time
What's the best movie ever? If you ask someone this question, the answer will almost certainly be different almost every time. That is understandable, as everyone has a different taste. In addition: Nobody knows all the films and can reliably say that “Titanic” - for whatever reason - is better than “The Big Lebowski”. So everyone has their favorite films, which they consider to be the best films of all time.
There are countless lists circulating on the Internet that present the best film or films. None of the others are the same. This also shows how difficult it is to make such a list. Whether respected critics or recognized film experts, there is a list that comes closest to the truth about the best films of all time. Because everyone can have a say in the decision-making process and rate a film. We are talking about the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), probably the largest platform for film rating on the Internet. And here it is, the top 20 best films worldwide including release year, rating and a trailer for the film when you click on the film title:
The 20 best films of all time
- The Condemned (1994) 9.2
- The Godfather (1972) 9.1
- The Godfather 2 (1974) 9.0
- The Dark Knight (2008) 9.0
- The Twelve Jurors (1957) 8.9
- Schindler's List (1993) 8.9
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 8.9
- Pulp Fiction (1994) 8.8
- Two Glorious Scoundrels (1966) 8.8
- Fight Club (1999) 8.8
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 8.8
- Forrest Gump (1994) 8.8
- Inception (2010) 8.7
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 8.7
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) 8.7
- Matrix (1999) 8.6
- GoodFellas - Three Decades in the Mafia (1990) 8.6
- One flew over the cuckoo's nest (1975) 8.6
- The Seven Samurai (1954) 8.6
- Seven (1995) 8.6
This is how the rating comes about
For everyone who is wondering how the rating is made: Anyone who registers with the Internet film database IMDb can rate films with points from 1 to 10. If there are at least 10 ratings, the portal publishes an average value. If a film has a particularly high number of ratings, it is included in the top 250. Here, however, the rating system changes. The IMdb assigns ratings that are calculated from the ratings submitted by the users, but do not reflect the average. In addition: Reviews submitted by regular reviewers should have more weight. The IMDb keeps the exact procedure secret in order to avoid possible manipulation. The film database has around 250 million users every month.
By the way: There is a website where you can quickly find out whether your dream film is available from your streaming provider. You can also see whether the film is included in the subscription and how much you have to pay if it is not.
All films in the top 20 have their raison d'etre. One of my favorite films is only at number 183 with a rating of 8.1: The Big Lebowski. But whatever. There are days when you eat the bear, and days when you are eaten by the bear.
- Expatriates can buy commercial property in Dubai
- Can I teach myself to grow up
- Why are we so dependent on technology
- What is the best fat cut food
- Which sport has deteriorated over time?
- Is humanity the ultimate evil
- How many languages are there in the Bible?
- What is the boiling point of actinium
- Which solar eclipse made Einstein popular
- How come I can't sing
- Which are the excellent Vigilante TV series
- What is meant by boiler hauling
- What does midget mean
- What is the hierarchy of genetic material
- What is the best smartphone for journalists
- What does the word woman mean
- What is it like to be intubated?
- How can a mole fraction be zero
- What are some famous French books
- Partial patents are expensive
- What are some of the subtleties of British grammar
- Why do uncomfortable moments happen
- Where does leather come from
- Are the words nevertheless and yet interchangeable