What is SEMrush used for?
Keyword Research - SEMRush Tool Presentation
In this article I would like to give you an overview of the tools I use in everyday life to find and analyze new keywords.
In the last 16 years I have tried a lot and for everyday use for ads and Google SEO I mainly use the following, manageable list:
What do these tools like SEMRush do for?
The most common use is rebuilding Google Ads campaigns and the Expansion of the keyword set.
My personal approach and list of priorities is as follows: After I've gotten through the search terms that come to my mind from my “gut feeling”, I like to use Google Ads' own suggestions in the keyword planner or directly in the ad group when adding the search terms.
It is very important here that you go through the list manually, because many suggestions do not fit your own strategy or then in another ad group.
Via Google Trends, the suggestions for entering search terms directly on Google (Suggest) and the SEM tool, I expand the keyword selection accordingly.
The W-Questions tool is interesting for direct questions that the target group is researching:
Not to be neglected is the evaluation of the search queries directly in the Google Ads account at least once a week.
Take a look at all the terms that Google switches in relation to your largely matching keywords that are booked in as a phrase.
You can go through this list for new keywords that have generated conversions, for example, or to make the placement more efficient (exclusions or “negative keywords”).
SEMRush tool presentation
I use very often SEMRushnot only to find new keyword ideas, but also to analyze competitors.
You can use this tool to see exactly which keywords your competitors are bidding on, what the estimated average. CPC is and how much traffic it generates.
And even internationally, including organic traffic and Google Shopping ads.
You can of course go into much more detail, but let's go through it step by step:
- You can register for a free membership and see a lot of data. Try it out directly: SEMRush.com (affiliate link, recommendation)
- Enter a domain in the search field (e.g. your competitor or your own domain, here you will receive a list of your competitors!)
On the overview page you can see the most important data directly and can jump intuitively to the area that interests you particularly.
In our case it will mostly be the paid search be.
So here we go straight to what will interest you most: The paid keywords, the positions for them and even a long list of ad texts that this advertiser uses!
By clicking on View full report you can also download the complete keyword list as an Excel file. In the free account you can “only” see an excerpt.
In the menu on the far left you can then also analyze Google Shopping (“PLA research”), display advertising or video advertising from this advertiser.
If I had to focus on 3 tools, the choice would be for me
- Google Ads own tools and evaluations (keyword planner, search query reports)
- Google Trends
- SEMRush.com (affiliate link, recommendation)
As soon as you have gained initial experience with the tool (affiliate link, recommendation), you will really appreciate the benefits for your work and the analysis of the competition.
What are your favorite tools?
What do you think?
- Which country name ends with RICA
- Can you be audited under 18 CRA
- What is the deepest ocean trench in the world
- Who cannot follow a ketogenic diet
- What is the largest US currency
- How do I flatten a stomach quickly
- Can hypnosis be used to murder
- Does someone really have high self-esteem?
- How is the hostel life at JIIT
- The treasure of the Templars is hidden in Ponferrada
- How long has Fortnite been out
- Which activities should never make money
- What Makes a Good Lender
- How will Instacart expand its product catalog
- What is the best argument for censorship
- What is the set of real numbers
- How should I not deal with depression
- Which IIM can I hope for
- What is the most accurate weather model
- How to hack Platform Racing 3
- Who is the richest person in Cambodia
- Who would win Bowser against Yoshi?
- What is so innovative about Carvana
- Will America get into the Yemeni crisis?