Is my computer protected from viruses?
How do I protect myself from viruses?
Your computer can get a virus from attachments in emails, downloads from the Internet, surfing the Internet, or a contaminated USB stick. If you receive an e-mail with a file attachment from an unknown sender, you should not open this e-mail and delete it immediately! There are special anti-virus programs to protect your computer from viruses.
What is a computer worm?
What is a trojan?
What are bots and botnets?
Anti Virus Software - Why?
You need anti-virus software, also known as a virus scanner, to protect your computer from computer viruses. It scans your computer for viruses and at the same time makes sure that no new virus can establish itself.
But be careful: you have to update your virus scanner regularly, i.e. start an update, so that the latest viruses are also detected! If you want to be on the safe side, you also need to keep your operating system up to date. To do this, you can activate "automatic updates" in the Windows security center. You can find the security center under Start> Program Access> Standards.
Unfortunately, that is not one hundred percent certain either. This is why you should save important files on a USB stick or hard drive. Of course, there is also the option of backing up files using an online storage facility like dropbox.com.
What do I need a firewall for and how does it work?
A firewall guards around 65,000 ports on the computer. Ports are the interfaces to the computer. All data entering or leaving the computer pass through these “doors”. Some data are allowed to run through certain ports, others should be forbidden so that no damage can be caused. So the firewall is a kind of bouncer for your PC.
The firewall protects against unauthorized third-party use, monitors data traffic and restricts network access according to defined rules. With current operating systems, e.g. B. Windows 10, a firewall is included that fulfills these basic functions. Many routers also have a firewall function and thus provide additional protection.
To be on the safe side, you should also install fully-fledged firewall software. You can download it for free from the Internet.
Very much. Always keep your operating system and anti-virus software up to date. This is how you protect your computer from malicious software.
- Install anti-virus software and update it regularly
- Install and update firewall software regularly
- Be careful with e-mails from an unknown sender: do not open any links or file attachments
- Use strong passwords
- Update the operating system regularly (for Microsoft Windows: activate automatic updates)
- Regular backups of private files on external data carriers (e.g. DVD or USB stick)
- Healthy distrust in all activities on the Internet
- What is the opportunity cost of hypocrisy
- Why do most planes not have canards?
- How are old scripts deciphered
- Why are children so resilient
- What are selected words
- What is a photocell light
- What is an example of a risk analysis
- Movies cause social evil
- Are Tuataras prey or predator
- Is nitrous oxide just helium
- What increases the accumulated depreciation
- What is Demat A C.
- Supports the Nokia X6 VoLTE
- What is FTL
- How common is deism among scientists
- What does individuality mean
- Side effects are ever good
- Who invented fermentation?
- Is Apex Legends bigger than Fortnite
- What did Hobbes think about human nature
- Can I register for CPT now?
- Why did Napoli fire their manager Ancelotti
- What does Sripad Gotra mean
- What is your opinion on American anime