What's the best apology you received
Psychology: how to apologize properly
It is easy to apologize if you accidentally spilled coffee on your colleague's shirt or stepped on the foot of the man next to you in the subway.
But the worse it is, your own offense, the harder it is to get the right words out of your mouth. Because when something has gone really wrong, a simple “I'm sorry” is not enough, everyone knows that. But then how do you apologize properly?
Scientists at Ohio State University have now investigated what makes a good excuse - one that is more likely to lead to forgiveness.
The researchers analyzed six components that an excuse can have in two different studies with more than 700 participants.
Take full responsibility
Apologizing is only one of the six components. The second is to explain what exactly went wrong from your own point of view, the third to declare yourself fully responsible for it.
The fourth component is to express one's repentance - that is, to explain that and why one would act differently now, one could turn back the time. The fifth component is the sincere offer to repair the damage, the sixth and last, asking for forgiveness.
Basically, according to the results of the study, the more of these elements an apology contains, the better, as the authors write in the specialist journal "Negotiation and Conflict Management Research". However, there are components that are more important than others.
Offer or ask for reparation
According to the head of the study, Roy Lewicki, the most important component in the laboratory tests was the declaration of responsibility. Those who take full responsibility for their actions are more likely to be forgiven.
The second most important component was to offer or ask for possible redress. In itself, asking for forgiveness was not very effective. You can almost save yourself that if everything else is missing, according to the authors.
The study authors also tested in their experiments whether it made a difference to forgiveness whether the offense was committed intentionally or unknowingly. In this case it was an imaginary major tax fraud that had been exposed.
- Where can I access genome sequencing equipment
- What are some great recipes with watercress
- Beginners can read the Ashtavakra Gita
- What are the benefits of gasoline additives
- What was your moment when I quit
- What do you miss most about Arizona
- Why do Europeans go to India
- What connection does Gaehnen have with sleep?
- What is the impossible trinity in business
- Share your awesome guacamole recipe with us
- Why am I not born?
- Why is the maple leaf so special
- Where is Michael Jackson's body
- Why didn't technology fix the housing crisis
- Who owns LOT Polish
- The tube lights up without throttle
- Can I trust DataTrained
- Who cannot follow a ketogenic diet
- Why do you long for happiness?
- Why do people write fanfiction
- Why do people always remember beloved teachers
- You can share your rose garden photos
- Is the development of technological evolution
- Can cats be allergic to pollen 1
- What is a negative list of GST
- How many websites are there in Vietnam
- Which song best describes Hillary Clinton
- What is the child's sensorimotor developmental stage
- Psychological states have physiological manifestations
- Who invented the bouzouki?
- How can I download new music
- Deletes Dropbox accounts due to inactivity