Why did food become fashionable?
nutritionFood trends: eat becomes to the Status symbol
Intermittent fasting, vegan diet or eating intuitively? When it comes to nutrition, many people have an opinion. Why we adorn ourselves with food trends and when they can be dangerous, we clarify in this from 21.
No sugar, no wheat and actually nothing that is fun anymore: Nils Binnberg has left these food trends behind, because they made him sick. He had orthorexia, an eating disorder in which sufferers try to eat healthily in a morbid manner. He actually just wanted to lose a few pounds and then couldn't stop optimizing his body.
"The body feeling always had to be optimized even though I already had a six-pack. But I also wanted to feel morally superior."
A nutritionist recommended that he eat as little carbohydrates as possible and do a lot of strength and endurance sports. After that, however, Nils tried out just about all the trends that he had found: "I tried them out like crazy and changed them every week." At dinner with friends, he reports on his experiments, is proud of his well-trained body and at some point his menu is limited to just five foods.
"I was a food snob and a food missionary."
Only when he hears about the diagnosis of orthorexia does he realize that his behavior is abnormal. In the meantime he has not only successfully completed therapy, but also wrote a book about it with "I'm sick of it - How nutrition gurus make us sick".
Some people care about food trends
Would you rather omit carbohydrates or just live plant-based? Nutritionist Maike Ehrlichmann is joined by people who are completely unsettled by the constantly changing food trends and no longer know what they actually want. "The pressure to know about such things has increased extremely," that comes with the need to be slim and fit.
"We snack more and more and the opposite would be good. Cook a good, sensible meal, eat with friends and take a deep breath."
Instead of looking at the latest trends from social media, we should listen to our inner body signals again - this is not easy for everyone to implement in practice. On the other hand, the quality of the food would also play a major role.
"Food has definitely become a fashion accessory."
Why Maike Ehrlichmann considers food trends to be a status symbol and why it doesn't always have to be complicated when it comes to eating, she tells us in the age of 21.
We have to learn to appreciate good food
How important is food in our society? Not a good one. Friederike Gaedke has this impression. You are the chair of the network "Die Gemeinschaft" - an association to which artisanal food producers belong. These include butchers, bakers, cheese makers, many farmers but also restaurateurs like themselves.
"Our goal is to promote a better eating culture and also a better nutritional system."
The aim of the platform is to promote a better eating culture in Germany and, with it, a better nutritional system, says Friederike Gaedkev. She studied in Italy and knows it differently from there. Regional products, the food in general and family recipes have a much higher priority there. Associated with this is the reputation for artisanal food producers, she says. She also wants to achieve that here in Germany. An important first step is that everyone can also afford regional, high-quality products and that the professions continue to exist.
"In Germany, not everyone can afford good regional food. Politicians have to take countermeasures."
Interesting facts about nutrition in Germany
- According to the Allensbach Institute for Demoscopy, 6.5 million people stated that they had a vegetarian diet in 2020. This is 400,000 more than last year. 1.13 million people even have a completely plant-based diet, i.e. vegan.
- Almost 38 million people value regional products when shopping.
- Sales of organic food reached a record in 2019, spending 11.9 billion euros on it. That is twice as much money as it was ten years ago.
- Although meat consumption is tending to decrease, in 2019, on average, every person in Germany ate almost 60 kilos of meat. The
The German Nutrition Society, on the other hand, recommends eating a maximum of 600 grams of meat per week, which would be half of the actual consumption. Pork was most commonly eaten, followed by poultry and beef.
- The Zukunftsinstitut, a German think tank for future research, examined our diet during the corona pandemic: We would value more
Put healthy and quality food, which is why, for example, more people have boxes of vegetables delivered.
- In addition, we have got used to the three classic meals again - breakfast, lunch, and dinner - because so many people stay at home, says author Hanni Rützler.
- Last but not least, the topic of DIY has now fully arrived in our kitchen or our vegetable patch on the balcony, which would also explain the many pictures of homemade bread on Instagram.
- In a 2019 survey, the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture found that 91 percent of people eat healthy food
- Over 70 percent of Germans like to cook, but not even half of the people manage to cook every day.
You can now contact the Ab 21 team via WhatsApp. What are you concerned with? Do you have a topic that we should definitely talk about on the show and on the podcast? Send us a voice message or write to us via WhatsApp:
Important: If you save this number and send us a message, you accept our rules on data protection and, for WhatsApp, the data protection guidelines of WhatsApp.
- Which animal can you identify with?
- What pays simple interest
- How can I use Brie cheese
- How can I do hard work
- Who is the best Virat or Rohit
- What is the best tool for the exam
- Can the US government regulate morality?
- Does Malwarebytes work on Mac
- How does the EPA test emissions
- What is the Cometin App
- What is project evaluation
- What are the heart profile tests
- Research topics in the field of heat conduction
- Has the Bahrain revolution been dampened
- What is binagoongan
- Will the North Korean regime ever end?
- Who is the best cricketer 1
- What are the best sites to be classified
- What are the most interesting phenomena
- Why is Egypt a great country
- Did Walder Frey kill his wives
- What sets Lowes apart from Home Depot
- What are China's achievements
- What are examples of a universal solvent