What are some delicious flavors of oatmeal
Table of Contents
- Oatmeal infographic
- What you should know about oats
- Our favorite oat recipes
- How healthy is oats anyway?
- Health benefits of oatmeal
- Shopping and cooking tips for oats
- Tips for preparing oats
- FAQs - the most common questions
- How do I cook whole oats?
- How do you make oat milk yourself?
- What is oat pulp?
- What exactly is naked oat?
Would you like to find out more about the individual points in the following infographic? Then you will find more information below the graphic.
- ... provide valuable nutrients:Oatmeal is food for the nerves because it contains considerable amounts of vitamins from the B group plus around 140 milligrams of magnesium per 100 grams, which, together with the high protein content, also makes them ideal for athletes' strength food.
- ... are perfect light foods:Anyone recovering from the flu or other illness will get fit faster with oatmeal: They not only provide important nutrients, but are also particularly easy to digest.
- Oatmeal boiled in water or low-fat milk is a balm for an upset stomach. This is due to the beneficial mucous substances that are released when oat flakes are heated and that form a protective film on the mucous membrane.
- ... score with proteins:There are around 12 grams of protein in 100 grams of oat flakes - not least that makes them interesting for veggies. So that the body can make optimal use of these proteins, oatmeal is best eaten with dairy products.
- ... lower the blood fat level:At 7 grams (per 100 grams), oatmeal contains a relatively high amount of fat. However, it is mainly made up of valuable and healthy unsaturated fatty acids, which among other things help to bring high cholesterol levels back into balance.
- ... offer a lot of fiber:At around 10 percent, oatmeal contains a good portion of fiber. This is not only good for digestion: a large part of them are so-called beta-glucans, and these soluble fibers can lower cholesterol levels. They are also said to be able to prevent some forms of cancer.
- In the combination with around 470 milligrams of phosphorus, the magnesium in oat flakes also ensures that bones become stronger and are better protected against fractures. This mineral mix is also beneficial for good teeth.
- With an emission value of less than 130 grams per 100 grams, the CO2 balance of oatmeal is good. The CO2 values are based on the calculations of the IFEU Institute for Energy and Environmental Research in Heidelberg and were individually balanced for each food item as "average food" as sold in Germany. They take into account the production location, the production method, all associated transports, processing, packaging and storage proportionally. The emissions of all greenhouse gases such as B. carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4) and nitrous oxide (N2O) were taken into account and converted into CO2 equivalents. In simplified terms, however, only CO2 is used.
What you should know about oats
If you only know the flakes from it, you've missed something: Whole oats also taste really good with their spicy aroma. The grains of the plant, which belongs to the sweet grasses, were one of the most important staple foods until the middle of the 18th century. In the past, grits made from coarsely chopped oats were often served on the table. It was only when wheat and rye became affordable for everyone that oats were more and more forgotten.
But oats have one property that makes them particularly popular with many today: they contain very little gluten, i.e. the so-called sticky protein. An interesting aspect of the rise in popularity of oats is that they are immune to most of the pests and diseases commonly found in cereals. This makes oats a particularly sustainable and environmentally friendly grain, because hardly any chemicals are needed even for conventional cultivation.
The original home of oats is in southern Europe and North Africa to Ethiopia. Since around 100 BC, oats have been grown mainly in the northern latitudes.
You can get oats in any form and at any time.
Oats have a mild and slightly nutty taste.
Our favorite oat recipes
Here you can find all oat recipes.
How healthy is oats anyway?
Oats are rightly considered to be almost outrageously healthy, and numerous scientists around the world are researching its various health benefits. It has long been known that the grains contain plenty of valuable protein, as well as minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, iron and zinc as well as important vitamins, especially B1, B9 and K. In addition, oats can score points with their high fiber, pectin and cellulose content, which have an extremely beneficial effect on the stomach, intestines and digestion.
The cereal has a very special advantage with the soluble fiber beta-glucan. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) confirms that the consumption of beta-glucan can lower the level of harmful cholesterol in the blood and is even said to have a preventive effect against some types of cancer (1). The beta-glucan also contributes to the fact that oats are one of the particularly digestible types of grain. Because the soluble fiber binds superfluous and harmful substances in the intestine, such as bile acids, and promotes their excretion.
In addition, recent research shows that an oat regimen can lead to an almost dramatic improvement in blood sugar levels in the case of insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes (2).
The oats owe their stimulating effect to the phytoandrogens they contain, which are very closely related to the male hormone testosterone. These herbal active ingredients increase performance and ensure firmer and tighter skin.
|Nutritional values of oats per 100 grams|
You might also be interested in
Shopping and cooking tips for oats
Buy oats in the smallest possible quantities or only as much of them as you will soon be consuming, because the grains contain a relatively large amount of fat. Especially when they are crushed (for example with oat groats or bran), the taste therefore quickly becomes rancid.
Always keep both the grains and products made from oats in a cool place and protected from light.
Unlike other grains, oats do not need to be soaked unless you want to cook them into a porridge. Then please soak the grains overnight and rinse them with cold water the next morning before cooking.
Tips for preparing oats
The grains can be cooked as an alternative to rice and used as a side dish for a vegetable pan. Oat groats made from coarsely chopped grains are also very tasty and popular. They cook faster than whole oats and are well tolerated by people with sensitive stomachs. Oat groats are the perfect base for porridge and hearty stews.
Incidentally, sprouted oat kernels taste delicious in salads or on bread and butter.
FAQs - the most common questions
How do I cook whole oats?
Whole oats can be cooked and prepared much like rice. The grains are thoroughly washed off before cooking and brought to a boil with twice the amount of water. Let the oats cook over low heat for about 30 minutes and then pour them off. Unlike other grains such as spelled, rye or wheat, the oat grains do not have to be soaked before cooking.
How do you make oat milk yourself?
For the vegan milk alternative you don't need anything more than oatmeal, a blender and a nut milk bag. You can find out how exactly the production works here.
What is oat pulp?
The word comes from Austrian and describes the instant oatmeal. These are made from pre-cooked oats and oat bran and dissolve very quickly in water or milk. Because of this, they are especially popular in fitness shakes.
What exactly is naked oat?
Almost every form of oat that can be found in the supermarket has been heated beforehand. The reason for this is the shell of the grain, which is inedible and has to be removed before consumption - this is easier if the oats have been heated beforehand. However, some nutrients are lost when heated. In organic shops or in health food stores you can find so-called naked oats, in which you can eat the shell and thus still contain all the nutrients.
- How do I contact a successful person
- How should Helvetica be used
- What is the anatomy of an octopus
- What 10 shows that changed TV forever
- What is a city income tax
- WTK Network Marketing Software
- The SAP ABAP module is simple
- What is the maximum unit of data storage
- How does AIDS occur in humans?
- Really like girls BJs
- What does Toncil do
- Will America ever have direct democracy
- Which apps do you not need
- What is the resistance equation
- Accept our new Google overlords
- What's your favorite comic for parents
- Narcissists are often nice people
- Who is the famous hero in India
- Everyone has creative skills
- What do you think is magical
- Is Oblivion better than Skyrim
- Why should I trust Changelly
- Causes of coronary artery blockage
- What is a paradise lost