Which atom is little hydrogen or helium
Atomic radius / atomic diameter with table
We will deal with the atomic radius or the atomic diameter in this article. It explains what is meant by the atomic radius and the atomic radii and atomic diameters are given for some elements. This article is part of our chemistry division.
In mathematics it is still quite simple: you have a circle and this has a center point (see circle graphic). If you go from the center to the limit of the circle, you have the radius. And if you double the radius, you get the diameter. And it is precisely this concept that we are now transferring to chemistry, namely to the atomic radius. Unfortunately, it's not that easy in chemistry. Because where does an atom actually end? For this reason, another definition has been thought of. Half the distance between the nuclei of two neighboring atoms is called the atomic radius of an element.
The atomic radii increase in the periodic table of the elements (PSE on the following graphic) from top to bottom and from left to right. However, this rule does not apply to the atoms of the noble gases. As the number of protons increases, the forces of attraction of the atomic nucleus on the electron shell increase and the atomic radius decreases as a result. In principle, one can say that the diameter of an atom is in the order of 10-10 m lies. Atomic radii and atomic diameters are usually given in picometers (1pm = 10-12 m). So atoms are tiny.
The periodic table of the elements (click on large format in a new window):
Atomic radii are divided according to the different types of chemical bonds. One distinguishes.
- Ionic radii: In systems with a predominantly ionic structure, the atoms are assigned ionic radii.
- Covalent radii: For atoms in molecular compounds characterized as covalent, covalent radii are given.
- Metal atomic radii: In metals, the atoms have metal atomic radii.
- Van der Waals radii: Van der Waals forces act between the molecules of covalent compounds; accordingly there are the van der Waals radii.
Atomic radius and atomic diameter table
If you search for the atomic radius or atomic diameter for different elements in different sources, you will quickly be surprised. Because the values vary massively (even with the same reference). For this reason I have put together a table that covers the various values I have found. First of all, I would like to list just a few important elements. The data are in picometers (1pm = 10-12 m).Table scrollable to the right
|element||symbol||Atomic number||Atomic radius in pm|
|hydrogen||H||1||31 - 37,7|
|lithium||Li||3||128 - 152|
|carbon||C.||6||76 - 77,2|
|nitrogen||N||7||70 - 71|
|oxygen||O||8||60,4 - 66|
|sodium||N / A||11||153,7 - 186|
|magnesium||Mg||12||141 - 160|
|aluminum||Al||13||121 - 143|
|Silicon||Si||14||111 - 117|
|sulfur||S.||16||104 - 105|
|iron||Fe||26||124 - 132|
|copper||Cu||29||127 - 132|
See also atomic radius: aluminum, argon, beryllium, boron, calcium, chlorine, chromium, iron, fluorine, helium, potassium, carbon, lithium, magnesium, sodium, neon, nickel, phosphorus, oxygen, scandium, sulfur, silicon, nitrogen, Titanium, vanadium, hydrogen
- Duden: Abitur knowledge chemistry
Who's OnlineWe have 1048 guests online
- What is a discovery engine
- Am I not attractive 2
- Why does nicotine create enthusiasm
- What happened in Portugal during World War II
- What exactly is the book called Necronomicon
- Animated films use color grading
- When does cancer spread to the lungs
- Which dress is best for the party
- What is TestRX
- How old are the Korean War veterans usually
- What did Modi do abroad?
- What are great magazine ads
- What is the code on Hackertyper Net
- Do sneaker bots really work
- Which bands are similar to Hollywood Undead
- Who owns Ryan's buffet
- Why is psychosocial assessment important
- What is the molecular weight of CH3COOH
- How do you publish short books yourself
- Which cPanel is best for hosting
- Like the road from Bhopal to Nagpur
- How can I not faint from blood?
- Who can call a state of emergency
- What is an HR business partner model
- How does Archana Sasi learn
- Sunlight damages hair
- Colleges will accept an online HS diploma
- Why not update the Lollipop HTC Desire
- Why do some people stare at strangers
- What is gender diversity
- What are numbers for rejuvenating haircuts
- Should I learn the Czech language
- Are pandemics considered natural disasters
- Side effects are ever good