Why is green not a tree
Why are leaves green?
Why are leaves green? At first glance, Yumna, 10 years old, answered the question quickly: Leaves are green because they contain the green leaf pigment chlorophyll. But there is more to it than that.
Only with the help of chlorophyll are tree leaves able to capture the energy of sunlight and, with water and carbon dioxide, to form glucose. This process, which helps the tree to survive, is called photosynthesis.
Leaves and plants in general appear green because the dye chlorophyll reflects green and absorbs the other color components contained in sunlight and converts it into chemical energy.
That's how a tree lives
Glucose is high in energy and is transported to all parts of the tree as fuel. There, glucose is needed to build up storage materials such as starch and sugar as well as building materials from which wood, bark and leaves are formed.
Trees need a lot of leaves in order to absorb a lot of energy and to be able to survive. Although the tree draws air in through bark and twigs, the leaves are the actual "lungs" of the tree.
Animals and humans also benefit from these processes in the leaves of the trees, as oxygen is also released in the process. We living beings need this oxygen to breathe.
How much oxygen does a tree provide?
In a 100-year-old beech, for example, 1.7 kilograms of oxygen per hour emerge from the stomata of the leaves. That's as much oxygen as 50 people need to breathe for an hour.
Due to the production of oxygen, photosynthesis is also considered to be the most important biological process on our earth.
Rest in winter
When the tree takes a break during the cold, arid months and sheds its leaves, the chlorophyll is also responsible for this. It regresses and is slowly broken down. Then the leaves lose their lush green, become colorful and finally wither completely. Only in the spring, when the tree revs up its metabolism at full speed, is the dye formed again.
You can find out more on the subject in WAS IST WAS Volume 134 Wald. More than just trees
as well as in WAS IST WAS Pflanzen
- What does individuality mean
- What is your opinion on Mahayana Buddhism
- What are some weird hindi movies
- Is Goku stronger than Beerus now
- Can give IQ Option risk free trades
- What is your favorite childhood memory
- What settles
- Is Vicks VapoRub safe for children
- Cameras could take color pictures during World War II
- What broadband services are there in Mangalore
- What are the best nootropics
- What is it like to have a Ferrari
- How did the ancient Greeks influence philosophy
- How does Halki Diabetes Remedy work
- Why did food become fashionable?
- What were Douglas Adam's philosophical views
- How can I learn EDM production
- Kala Sarpa Dosha is sometimes very dangerous
- Why is diabetes
- What are some good books on disguise
- What were Russia's goals during World War II
- What is a mortar in civil engineering
- Time is nothing but entropy
- Why is Messi more preferred than Ronaldo
- Why is Mugabe a racist
- What are some disadvantages of homework
- What wildlife can I see in Japan
- Should Easter Island become independent from Chile
- Why do ants feel attracted to human sweat?
- When and where did the RTI start
- Is there an alternative to GitHub
- How has social media affected professional sport?
- Is the Paytm in Bangkok
- Class 9 lessons are required