Have hagfish predators
Underwater cobwebs made of slime?
That would be a pretty big spider, but if it lives mostly underwater, it's a little more workable.
It's probably easiest when it develops from existing water spiders.
These spiders bring air bubbles down so they can breathe. These bubbles can actually act as shiny bait for fish and larger marine predators. This means that no bioluminescence is required.
If the spider can create large enough bubbles, it may just need its prey to accidentally break through the bubble. The spider could then quickly seal the injury and the gilled creature would suffocate and weaken in the gas atmosphere of the bladder. Allows the spider to take them down easily.
Alternatively, the spider would simply create a web network with gaps large enough to pass through while a larger creature tangled itself up trying to follow. Once caught, the spider can finish off the prey and drag it into its bladder for consumption.
When the web is woven into a web, it appears to be slime to the uninitiated. However, it would have a much higher tensile strength than slime.
Another possibility is that the spider is actually tending a small farm of sessile nematocyst-wielding creatures, cnidarians. The cnidarians wove a structure on which the cnidarians could live, and sting and paralyze any large creatures that wandered into the web. The spider could then catch the prey and return its corpse to the cnidarians to feed them and keep things clean. This is similar to some small crabs that live in sea anemones.
- What does Sripad Gotra mean
- Which bed is good for back pain?
- What tech companies are based in Pittsburgh
- What is a TBI brain injury
- Europe has poisonous snakes
- How do seismographs measure earthquakes
- What is ion propulsion
- Has the current changed?
- How can insecurities in teenagers be avoided?
- How do I become a world leader
- Helps adding more RAM while gaming
- What were Facebook's greatest technical achievements
- When did Steve Jobs start wearing turtlenecks?
- Why did CBD weed trigger my schizophrenia
- Can beat Hagoromo Kaguya alone
- If 3x 15 what is x 1
- What are the origins of Psychedelic Rock
- Is it possible to avoid corruption completely?
- Will AI ever destroy DevOps?
- Was there a civilization that is completely atheist
- Where should I stay when visiting Phoenix
- Which company is setting HackerRank Coding Challenges
- The population in North Korea is growing
- What does consciousness mean in Hinduism