How transformers increase the current
Transformer / transformers / transformer
A transformer is used to step up or step down voltages, currents and resistances in an AC circuit. So increased or decreased.
The transformer, or transformer for short, acts on the input or primary side like a consumer R for its AC voltage source, provided the transformer is loaded with nominal load. When unloaded, the transformer acts like an inductance. The output side or secondary side acts as an alternating voltage source with source voltage U.0 and internal resistance Ri.
The transformer basically consists of two coils lying next to each other with the same or different number of turns. A turn is when the wire is looped around the bobbin. The entirety of the turns is called the winding. A changing magnetic field is generated on the input winding by the applied alternating voltage. An induction voltage is generated on the output winding. The level of this voltage depends on the turns ratio of the primary and secondary side of the transformer.
|Primary side||Secondary side|
|600||50 V||600||50 V|
|600||50 V||1200||100 V|
|600||50 V||300||25 V|
N = number of turns / U = voltage
If the number of turns on the primary side is greater than on the secondary side, then the output voltage is less than the input voltage. If the number of turns on the secondary side is greater than that on the primary side, then the output voltage is greater than the input voltage.
Isolation transformer and transformer
Isolation transformers are used to galvanically isolate the alternating voltage from the power grid. You should separate two circuits from each other for safety reasons. Transmitters are used for data transmission and in measurement and control technology for audio frequency transmission.
Ratio of voltage and current
The relationship between voltage and current is inversely proportional to each other.
A change in the voltage at the input leads to a change in the maximum current that can be drawn at the output (secondary side) of the transformer.
If the voltage is stepped down, the current that can be drawn increases. If the voltage is stepped up, the current that can be drawn decreases.
A higher voltage at the output leads to a lower current at the input. A lower voltage at the output enables a greater current draw.
Circuit symbol (secondary side with one winding)
Circuit symbol (secondary side with two windings)
Toroidal transformers consist of a toroidal iron core around which the primary and secondary coils are wound. Toroidal transformers are lightweight, require little space, are more efficient and have a lower magnetic stray field. This gives you decisive advantages over rectangular transformers. The high switch-on pulses are a disadvantage.
Rectangular iron core transformers
Rectangular transformers are very common. Especially in power supplies and integrated power supplies. The power consumption there is not too high. A plug-in power supply unit can or must even be dispensed with. The weight of the iron core is often uncomfortable and is a significant part of the weight of an electronic device.
It can be assumed that the iron core causes 10% energy loss during the transformation. To compensate for this, 10% more turns are simply wound. This ensures the desired tension ratio.
Other related topics:
The electronics company's original equipment
What every electronics technician needs: An electronics range with over 1,300 electronic components so that you have everything you need for every application.
- 30 different resistance values (600 pieces in total)
- 30 different ceramic capacitors (300 pieces in total)
- 12 different electrolytic capacitors (120 pieces in total)
- 8 different diodes (100 pieces in total)
- 17 different transistors (170 pieces in total)
- 5 different LEDs in size 3 mm and 5 mm in the colors 5 colors red, green, blue, yellow and white (200 pieces in total)
Order electronics assortment now
Electronics simple and easy to understand
The electronics primer is a book about the basics of electronics, components, circuit technology and digital technology.
I want that!
- Why do lovers become murderers
- What is Graicuna's formula
- Why are data scientists paid more
- What are some cheesy songs
- How different are the Mongolian and Chinese mentalities
- Are you a dramatic tenor
- Why does sailing make you hungry?
- Did William Shakespeare ever visit America
- Where can I learn to work on computers
- How can you self-publish a novel?
- Can vitamin supplements be bad for you?
- What is a discovery engine
- What is a good introductory text to physics
- How to celebrate Christmas in Russia
- Which book has your favorite literary friendship?
- How does real love feel?
- How do you make bamboo underwear
- How capable the Turkish army is
- Can metals be injection molded?
- How did the Microsoft startup get their first fund?
- How is a molecule made
- Adopting a child was your first choice
- How should I prepare before coming to OFSS?
- Will reach 10,000 BTC before the end of the year
- What is twitching used for?
- Why do people relate names to races
- What innovations are there in the petroleum refinery?
- Which language has only a few native speakers
- How do minimalists feel about others?
- What patterns have you noticed in nature
- Why are hex editors used in calculations
- Could Arda Turan really join Barcelona?
- What are the cheapest hotels in Hyderabad
- Anime originated from Disney