How does the brain remember faces
Memory: This is how we shape and forget memories
Memory wants to be explored
When we recall a memory, different parts of our brain communicate with each other, including regions in the cerebral cortex that are responsible for processing information; Regions that process our sensory impressions; and the medial part of the temporal lobe, which appears to help coordinate the process. A recent study examined the retrieval of newly created memories in humans: The researchers found that at the moment of remembering, the waves of nerve activity in the medial temporal lobe synchronize with the waves in the cerebral cortex.
Yet many of the secrets of memory remain unsolved. How exactly are memories coded within neural groups? How far are those nerve cells distributed over the brain that code a certain memory? To what extent does our brain activity correspond to our experience of memories? These areas of research could one day provide new insights into how the brain works and how to treat amnesia.
For example, recent research has shown that some memories need to be consolidated again each time they are retrieved. That would mean that the act of remembering would temporarily make a certain memory malleable - it could then be strengthened, weakened or otherwise changed as needed. During such a reconsolidation, memories could be treated more easily in a targeted manner, which could also be used in the treatment of mental illnesses such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
U.S. National Library of Medicine: Memory
Neuroscience - Exploring the Brain, Third Edition
Skill-memory consolidation, Behavioral Brain Research
Memory reconsolidation, Current Biology
Digit-span assessments, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology
The article was originally published in English on NationalGeographic.com.
- How many skeptics believe in God
- Why is mitosis called equation division
- Why did India adopt federalism?
- Which DC Comics are there for free?
- Are old Coca-Cola cans worth anything?
- Grow 16-year-old boys
- How can I start modeling
- How do black holes affect their surroundings?
- What knowledge does an interior designer need
- Why are tides different 1
- What inspires you as a music composer
- Which website builder should I choose
- How is schizophrenia treated in dogs
- What does Netstat show me
- Is the Micromax Q381 a standard ROM
- Which professions are disappearing
- What is the purpose of screenwriting
- Fruit also has DNA
- What are HDFC Securities Fees
- What's your favorite song from KK
- What is polygraph
- Can a finite state machine be universal
- What does hops do in beer production
- What are some ghost weapons in Naruto