Realism in quantum mechanics has been refuted
Local realism disproves
The predictions of quantum mechanics contradict the classical laws of nature. But first of all, it's just a theory. Scientists have been studying for decades whether reality is actually as strange as some of the equations suggest.
A team led by Bas Hensen from the Technical University of Delft has now clearly answered in the affirmative and for the first time ruled out all possible alternative explanations in their experiment. The researchers investigated an inequality that the Northern Irish physicist John Bell (1928-1990) published in 1964. Mathematically, it shows the incompatibility of quantum mechanics with the descriptive classical laws of nature. A key concept here is "local realism". Bell argues that two concepts can be used to classify a theory. On the one hand, it can be "realistic": an experiment only reveals properties of the world that have already existed before. This is not the case in quantum mechanics, since initially only the probability with which an event will occur can be calculated and the system only sets a value when it is measured.
This article is featured in Spectrum of Science February 2016
As a second principle, the "locality" describes when changes in one place can affect another. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, information never travels faster than light. Two things can only interact causally if there is enough time to exchange a signal between them. But in quantum physics, even with particles that are far apart, the measurement of one can have a direct effect on the other - the theory is not local. ...
- What made Dell such a successful company
- Is S I as problematic for teenagers
- What's the strangest thing you've done online
- What's in a tomato sponge cake
- Is my married coworker flirting with me?
- What will no one learn in time
- Feel free to blog
- What are fried memes
- How is a software project carried out
- Hamilton was a good father
- What are the strangest facts about Poland
- What color is Livermorium
- How long will Hitler stay in hell?
- What is projection line in civil engineering
- Where could I download English songs from?
- Why are elephants endangered
- What happens when indifference curves intersect
- Which income tax calculator is more accurate
- How do you hitchhike all over the world
- Is Thanos almighty with the Infinity Gauntlet
- Where can I find Unity 3D developers
- Why did Rose drown Jack's body
- What is your favorite recipe for barfi
- How to Draw Henry Hudson