How many gods worshiped the ancient Romans
Roman gods and Roman goddesses
Roman gods & goddesses
This article provides fun-to-know mythological facts and information about Roman goddesses and gods. The Roman gods had tasks similar to those of the Greek gods. Only the names were different. So here is a list of comparable gods and goddesses:
Known and unknown Roman gods and Roman goddesses
At first glance, the Roman and Greek world of the gods seems to have been a relatively well-known treasure with around 12 more or less known beings. These deities were invoked by the Romans whenever they were in trouble. That the Roman world of the gods was much richer than some would dare to believe at first glance, that the Roman religion predominantly shaped everyday life, and that the gods also differed so much from region to region could that she was still hardly recognizable with the same name of the deity - hardly anyone would suspect or suspect that. But first of all, here is the list of gods from the Roman pantheon (heaven of gods):
Roman gods and Roman goddesses list:
The Romans and their gods
In ancient Rome, people believed in many different gods. Much of the belief was taken over from the Greeks. Among the Greeks became the supreme god Zeus and with the Romans Jupiter called. In both cultures the gods were represented in human form. At that time it was believed that nature was associated with spirits. So there was a god for the sun, the sea or the fields. It was hoped that by making sacrifices, these gods would be positive towards people. Temples were also built for them, in which they prayed and worshiped the gods.
Basically there were gods who had more importance and some who played a subordinate role. Twelve of themthat were particularly important are:
- Mercury and
they were Consentes and are listed in the table above:
The names of the gods carried on for centuries. They are very similar to Latin words and are suitable for teaching or giving presentations in school. Also interesting: Many gave the months their names!
In many cases, too Emperorwhen they died, declared a god, as for example in the case Augustus. A temple was built for him too, to honor him properly.
Call of the gods in trouble
Whenever the Romans got into trouble, they called one of the gods described above or another god. So it was hoped that he would stand by and help improve the situation. Still, the Roman religion was far broader. And the gods themselves also differed from region to region. The same name was often used, but the different cities sometimes presented very different images of the respective god.
Which gods were also important?
- Apollo - god of the sun, music and also poetry
- Asklepios - god of health and medicine
- Boccus - god of wine
- Aurora - goddess of the dawn
- Bona Dea - goddess of healing, fertility and also fertility
- Ceres - god of agriculture
- Flora - goddess of flowers and spring
- Fabulinus - God of all children
- Fauna - goddess of all animals
- Victoria - goddess of victory
- Volcanus - god of fire and forge
- Volturnus - god of water
- Voluptas - goddess of lust
- and many more
The names of the various gods carried on over many centuries and were also partially changed. Since they are similar to the Latin words, they are suitable for presentations or for teaching at school. So you can certainly show off with this list if you have to talk about Roman gods at school. It is also important that you know that every single God also had its own attribute. You could recognize him by this and you knew directly which god was meant when a picture of him was shown. Diana was often known with a bow and arrow, or Neptune with the well-known Trident pictured.
What role did the so-called vestals play?
The Vestal Virgins are the priestesses of the so-called Vesta, the goddess of fire, the home and the hearth. The eternal light burned in the temple and the task of the priestesses was to keep it burning at all times. But also the daily procurement of fresh water from a spring with the name Egeria was part of their duties. This was needed to clean the temple and keep it in good condition. He was on the so-called Roman Forum and it was always inhabited by a total of six priestesses. They were not allowed to marry and were called between the ages of 6 and 10. In total they spent whole 30 years in the temple, each 10 years as a student, servant and later also as a teacher for new vestals. Even if they had to adhere to strict rules, they also had some special privileges. For example, they were promised to have seats of honor in the circus or theater, which was otherwise only allowed to senators. And if a prisoner brought to his execution met a vestal virgin, he was allowed to live and the execution was canceled. In addition, a festival in honor of the Vestal Virgins was celebrated between June 9th and 15th of each year.
The house gods
In addition to the great deities mentioned above, such as Diana, Jupiter, Neptune or Vesta, there were also household gods in Rome. You should protect the homes from calamity and other threats. To ask the household gods for help, the family prayed in front of an in-house shrine every day, too Lararium called. From time to time a food offering was offered to the gods of the household.
- Beto ORourke is Spanish
- Provides Chrome protection from online threats
- Why do lovers become murderers
- What would ruin your wedding
- Instagram automatically unblocks people
- How does conventional political participation take place?
- Exercise is effective in improving nasal congestion
- What is the opposite of existentialism
- How does real love feel?
- Actors practice in front of mirrors
- GamerGate Fall 2014 Who is Anita Sarkeesian
- What makes a good literature teacher?
- What black technology does the iPhone6 have
- Can you recommend the best Bollywood blogs
- Why did Cassius Clay convert to Islam
- What are the best careers in IoT
- Do you want to have more children?
- How are Sartre and Nietzsche connected?
- Can a teenager use Patanjali Body Ubtan
- Is Hetalia Axis Powers racist
- Live Venus flytraps forever
- Why do people usually not think rationally?
- Is a mantra just a repetitive thought
- What is an inventory list
- How would you label this picture
- What is 12 have sex
- Debt collectors can take your child away
- Can we found our company again?
- How corrupt is Ram Nath Kovind
- Why can't I shop on the Dunhills website
- What's your most interesting bartender story
- May Germans Angela Merkel
- What is the anhydride form of HCl