What is the boiling point of actinium
|Hazardous substance labeling|
|R and S phrases||R:|
|further safety information|
[[Help: Cache | Error creating thumbnail]]:
|As far as possible and customary, SI units are used. |
Unless otherwise noted, the data given apply to standard conditions.
Actinium (Latinized from Greek ακτίνα, aktína "Beam") is a radioactive chemical element. It is a metal from the group of actinides, which it is named after.
Actinium's chemical behavior is very similar to lanthanum. Actinium is trivalent in all ten known compounds. 26 isotopes are known, of which only two occur naturally. The longest-lived isotope 227 (half-life 21.8 years) is an alpha and beta emitter. Actinium-227 is a decay product of uranium-235 and occurs to a small extent in uranium ores, from which weighable amounts of actinium-227 can be obtained, which thus enable a relatively simple study of this element. Since there are some gamma emitters among the radioactive decay products, complex radiation protection precautions are necessary. The metal is shiny silver-white and relatively soft. It is very reactive and can be attacked by air and water. The Ac (III) ion is colorless.
Extraction and presentation
Since there is little actinium in uranium ores, this source does not play a role in the extraction. Technically, actinium-227 is produced by irradiating radium-226 with neutrons in nuclear reactors. Due to the rapid disintegration of actinium, only small quantities have so far been produced. The first man-made production of actinium was carried out at the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago.
Actinium is used to generate neutrons, which play a role in activation analyzes. It is also used for thermionic energy conversion.
The decay of Ac-227 is dual: While most of it passes into Th-227 with the emission of beta particles, about 1% decays through alpha emission to Fr-223. A solution of Ac-227 can therefore be used as a source for the short-lived Fr-223. The latter can then be separated and examined regularly.
- Which sound do you find comforting
- What is the function of hydrochloric acid
- What does this answer mean
- How can motivation help an apprenticeship
- Who benefits from gun laws
- The police can refuse to answer
- What made Dell such a successful company
- What does 0 mean in phone numbers
- What is the capital of Sierra Leone
- Why is traditional media still important
- What makes a novel worth reading
- What is GFR
- May cause chest pain
- Vulgarity is a sign of ignorance
- What are prospective students
- How does a UI designer work
- Who was Gabrielle Bonheur
- Why is Quora Ontology not called Quora Taxonomy
- How would you build a better bookstore
- Is the existence of new elements possible?
- Stop passwords hackers
- How do football players make money
- Do we need greenhouse gases
- Can you answer that question now
- What are some good snail names
- What are some vegan comfort foods
- Can someone handle the gaze of a psychopath
- What is the duty of the mechanical engineer
- Use Pinterest 1
- What is udoo it
- Who was Cleopatra's father
- When did Steve Jobs start wearing turtlenecks?
- What causes white spots on the skin