What inspires people to become filmmakers
Is "Joker" a dangerous movie? Joaquin Phoenix has an answer for all critics
In “Joker”, director Todd Phillips tells the story of an outsider who has been shaken by fate and pushed around by society, who at some point goes nuts and avenges himself with bloody violence on those who have wronged him.
At least that is how “Joker” could be summarized in a rather exaggerated and simplistic way. And because the DC film apparently portrays a gunman and violent criminal as a hero with whom one has compassion, concerns that "Joker" could inspire copycat criminals increased in the run-up to the cinema release - especially in the USA, which is already plagued by constant acts of violence.
Why Joaquin Phoenix has stayed out of it so far
Of course, Phillips and his leading actor Joaquin Phoenix were also approached about this topic, which in at least one documented case ensured that Phoenix escaped from an interview and only agreed to continue the conversation after an hour.
In an interview with the Los Angeles Times Phoenix now revealed what was going through his head at the time and defended "Joker" with clear words against the allegations.
His own research on the subject showed that attention and reports in the media are much more likely to inspire people to commit acts of violence than films about fictional characters, says Phoenix. “I was in an unfortunate position because I thought, 'I can't talk about it because that's exactly what may be part of the problem. That is exactly what you shouldn't do. ‘"
But in the end the fears turned out to be largely unfounded anyway. Instead, Phoenix reports, he received emails from people telling him that they would perceive mental illnesses such as schizophrenia with different eyes after the film.
“In the end, the film is about the power of friendliness and the lack of empathy in the world - and that apparently also resonated with the audience. It's amazing that a movie that supposedly - as some people have written - would inspire mass chaos, in truth just inspired a few people to dance down stairs. "
"Joker" has been in German cinemas since October 10, 2019.
"Joker": In these scenes, Joaquin Phoenix improvised on the set
- Why is chess underestimated?
- Which NASA employees are active on Quora
- Who was the first killer robot
- What is electronic phase coherence
- Which side can I learn CSS on
- What is the case study methodology
- How can I avoid becoming a hypocrite?
- What's the most narcissistic job title
- The new WhatsApp update is worth it
- Who influenced Frank Sinatra's style
- What is the full Mahamrityunjay mantra
- Why are F1 steering wheels so small
- Is friendship an early stage of love
- How does dengue fever kill
- Are all vegetables with seeds actually fruit?
- How did Akbar 1 die
- Should you ever really trust someone
- Did Amazon Prime Day meet your expectations
- Who is your favorite Harry Potter couple
- Why does my monitor keep changing colors
- Can I have poetry advice
- What is the best smartphone under 5K
- What does CC mean on social media
- How will blockchains technology develop?
- How much does a garden sprinkler system cost
- What should you never see in life
- What starts your web technology career
- Is there a Netflix with sheet music
- What is SAP CPQ
- How does positive self-talk sound like?
- How do filters clean water
- What are 5 Interesting Concepts in Neuroscience
- Where can I promote music
- All scientists and historians are atheists