What do ant bites look like
The life of an ant
The wedding flight
The ants' impressive wedding flight usually takes place in spring. Depending on the ant species, the time is different and depends on the season and the weather.
During the wedding flight, the females, who are called queens after mating, receive many millions of sperm cells. They keep these in the so-called seed pouch for several years, in some cases even for more than 20 years. This supply must last the queen for her whole life. The workers are not mated, they are sterile.
After mating, the males die. The fertilized females shed their wings and either found a new state or they find an existing ant colony to take them in.
From spring to autumn the queens are then busy laying eggs. Wood ant queens produce around 300 eggs a day, one type of driver ants even manages 50 million a year.
From egg to insect
After laying the eggs, the workers immediately take over the egg and bring it to a nest chamber in which the temperature and humidity conditions are optimal. Here the ant nurses lick the eggs regularly so that they stay clean and do not dry out. When the small ant larva finally hatches from the egg, the larval period begins.
The ant larvae are maggot-shaped, without legs or eyes. The larvae still have to be fed and cleaned by the brood carers. Despite the soft larval skin, the growing ant has to throw off the old, too small body shell again and again. This process can be repeated between three and six times.
When the larva moults for the last time, the so-called prepupa becomes the actual pupa, with the typical characteristics of an ant already being recognizable: the structure of the body, the mouthparts and antennae.
The dolls are also looked after and guarded by the workers. Finally, the brood carer helps the fully developed ant to hatch from the cocoon.
Male or female?
The development from egg to ant takes different lengths of time for the different species. It takes about six weeks for the wood ant.
The life expectancy of an ant also depends on its species and gender. While the males die shortly after the wedding flight, the workers live for an average of two years. Only the queens are very long-lived, they are between ten and 20 years old.
The queen alone determines whether the egg will develop into a male or a female. If the eggs do not receive sperm when they are deposited - i.e. if they remain unfertilized - males develop from them. Workers and sexually active females (the later queens) arise from fertilized eggs.
Many factors decide whether the larva becomes a worker or a sexually active female: the quantity and quality of the food, the temperature and humidity in the nest, the length of the day, the size and yolk content of the eggs and the age of the queen.
- The App Store is currently unavailable
- Can I use gear oil for engines?
- What is an identifier in Java
- Escape Santa Claus
- How does the brain remember faces
- Why is Starbucks operating in Italy
- How many temples are there in Gaya
- Can beat Hagoromo Kaguya alone
- How's the typical day of Bill Gates
- What are the uses of synthetic biology
- Is my art teacher wrong
- Can current be applied more than voltage
- How can I track conversions
- Why did China suddenly start attracting India?
- How do you buy a Redbox DVD
- Where can I register the cheapest domain
- What's new in Zorin OS 15
- Why are fermented foods produced by microorganisms
- What is a Roku device
- Who does more things China or Japan
- Moonlight is the best movie of 2016
- What does Bantai mean in Marathi
- Witch doctors can use weapons
- Are Pokemon X and Y too easy